Friday, September 13, 2019
Low-carbing NYC?
I feel like I first tried a low carbohydrate diet 50 years and 50 pounds ago. When I was young I could lose 5 or 10 pounds quickly and that was enough. Easy Peasy.
I started this blogging thing 10 years ago, with a plan to get thinner. My Year of Living Leaner.
What a sad chapter that year was!
Well, we are back to square one, eating those same restricted few foods that are all too familiar ... tasty (see porterhouse above) but limited. Bread is off the table. Summer ice cream treats are over. Fall bounty is mostly off limits ... perhaps just one thin slice of a local tomato with the cheeseburger, on a bed of lettuce, with lots of premium dill pickles slices. And perhaps a small portion of that trendy side, brussel sprouts.
A weekend in NYC is coming up. NYC means a lot of walking, but potentially some more bucket list foods--or now a repeat of some favorite treats exclusive to NYC. That $6 cronut from Dominique Ansel Bakery, that Martha Stewart Cafe cookie, that black and white cookie purchased in the Seinfeld neighborhood, the amazing macarons from Grand Central Market, the chocolate babka from Russ and Daughters. Babka made into French Toast (not yet)!!
I am not sure I will indulge in any of that stuff this time! All those delicious sweet treats are no good!
I had to try a freshly made stroopwafle in Amsterdam, because, Amsterdam!
I had to try those traditional heart-shaped waffles with strawberry jam in Norway, because, Norway!
But I will be in NYC again next year. And it is even possible that I will be thinner!
I walked the aisles of the D & W grocery store this week. Except for the outer aisles, there is nothing legal. All those aisles of chips and cereal and cookies and Creamettes. My impression was that 95% of the store is verboten.
I do not even crave those things, remarkably.
So, about staying lo-carb in NYC? I would have to make some new goals, since my bucket list always includes special foods and restaurants.
I have walked the Brooklyn Bridge, the High Line and the Botanical Gardens. Now there is a new thing called The Vessel, at Hudson Yards, featuring 154 intricately connected flights of stairs. The climb offers great views of the city and the Hudson River.
However, there is nothing that I dislike more than stairs! I think I can manage it with enough time to rest at the landings. I think I read that there is an elevator available...
When we were in Germany this past June I climbed up just 100 winding stairs (and a ladder or two), up to the bell tower of the historic church where the husband's paternal oldest traceable ancestor was baptized in like the 17th century. It was dusty and doo doo-y and I was trying desperately to keep my brand new white jeans clean. Those big old bells started clanging just as we got up there, startling us.
But I had to climb the stairs, because, Germany!
If I climb those stairs at Hudson Yards, I will have photos. If I have chocolate babka french toast, I will have photos. Because, otherwise it didn't happen!
The questions remain: Is it possible for me to spend a weekend in NYC and stay on a lo-carb regimen? Can I manage those stairs? Do I even really care?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment