Thursday, September 26, 2019
Fall Stacks
When the Autumn Equinox arrived during the early morning hours on Monday (September 23), I was sleeping on floor #33 of a lower Manhattan apartment building. It began in quietness (although NYC never sleeps) only with the help of a white noise machine.
Soon after returning to Michigan I rode with O. to Countryside Greenhouse on our annual excursion to pick out a stack of pumpkins and gourds--an early fall tradition. The large one (above) was really too heavy for me, but I managed to carry it to the deck without tripping or dropping it.
After successfully knocking off a stem with a small kitchen hammer, I piled those colorful cucurbits up and sprayed them with Liquid Fence. Squirrels have been known to nibble...
A small Hinoki cypress (above) for $10 was too good to pass up. I hope to put some lights on it for the holidays.
Mums and pumpkins are formulaic for fall. Sometimes pansies and cornstalks join the scene. And soon, witches and goblins.
But every year I look forward to the same old same old shades of the season ... mostly because they remind me that FALL has come--always so welcome after yet another long, hot summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment