Sunday, February 17, 2019
Sparking Joy?
A plaster guy is coming tomorrow. After plastering comes painting. I don't know when this will all happen. It would be nice to have fresh spring air, not arctic blasts blow in when we open the windows to diffuse the paint smells. So maybe in March or April?
Anyway, I am packing up the glassware from 2 teak units and a teak buffet so they can be moved. Hopefully I do not have to move all the books from the fireplace shelves in the living room. They should be able to be covered with plastic. Two lamps have already been moved to a back bedroom. It is a tedious process and I have no deadline yet.
It was painful to find a drawer full of cassette tapes--early sermons of the husband, my mom's funeral, favorite classical music and tapes and cd's of every choir concert I've participated in.
Do these bring me joy? Will I ever listen to them again?
So according to Marie Kondo (book, Netflix series) I must ask ... does this stuff spark joy or do I need to throw it away? I am not a naturally joyful person. So what sparks joy is a little hard to discern! And I am attached to my stuff--for better or for worse.
Marie Kondo's hair would turn grey if she came to my house. Alternatively, do I need more closets/cabinet/storage spaces/bins?
I hear at least one daughter screaming NOOOOO!
In other news, the city will be (hopefully) picking up ice storm debris on Tuesday. E. helped me clear the debris off the deck today and many branches and sticks have been moved street side. After about 15 minutes of dragging limbs and sticks through a foot of snow, I was cold and tired and wanted to quit. I will do a few more trips tomorrow and then the rest may have to be done by a man, with a chainsaw, when it is not pouring snow from the skies!
Even though I would rather hibernate--make like a bear at Noah's Ark in Georgia (moving around a little and occasionally shuffling out of my straw-lined culvert to eat or poop), life always seems to make other demands of me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment