Yes, there were a few blue notes in the news this week-- including a billionaire pecker and flatulent cows! And the Patriots winning the Superbowl!
This post may end up getting political since I am talking about the news, so if you don't like that, stop reading now.
Or if you find talk of penis pics or cow farts offensive...
My news consumption was curtailed most days while I was in Florida, except for a show or two late at night, accessed on my smart phone through the Infinity app, with headphones, while lulling myself into lala land.
Now, home alone in hibernation mode for the week, I am catching up! And what a week it has been! So much has hit the fan in the days between the Super Bowl and the Grammys!
Yes, the weather was mostly hibernation-worthy here in West Michigan. I was actually worried about an ice-laden branch crushing my car as I drove through the streets one afternoon. Fire trucks, Consumer Energy trucks and tree removal trucks--including some from other states--dominated the streets on the day I ventured out.
I emerged from my warm cave only for food. A free ticket to a high school production of Arsenic and Lace also lured me out for dinner and a play.
Friends in Lowell have been without electric for 5 days. I know what that is like, even though tolerable with a generator, and in our case a gas fireplace stove.
Why do we live in Michigan? Or Minnesota, for that matter. I have a dozen or so relatives living there.
And of course, I emerged for church. Yesterday was fabulous, with the 50+ members of my former alumni choir singing like angels for our morning service.
So last Sunday the New England Patriots with their winning quarterback pulled it off once again. I was still in Florida, digesting that late afternoon dinner enjoyed at the Boathouse. We watched, but it was not a compelling game. I wonder if Tom Brady has now cleared the red MAGA hat out of his locker? He is certainly one of a kind and I don't hate him or the Patriots, like so many do. He has had an amazing career. And it is still not over? I heard somewhere that his gorgeous wife is worth more than he is. I hope he retires now, with his head still intact. Some might question that ... MAGA hat and all!
Tuesday night I was home alone watching the lengthy State of the Union speech. President Trump had a lot of good news about America. The speech was scripted, more sedate than at his rallies, and with some good lines from his speech writers. The gallery guests included a pardoned black female prisoner, a cute St. Jude cancer survivor (a Trump family cause) Buzz Aldrin, and a holocaust Jew survivor and his liberator side by side--all good things that anyone could support. And then there was the bullied kid named Trump who was invited to sit in the gallery with the first lady only to fall fast asleep.
There were many things to applaud for--bipartisan things! But the Dems and their women in virginal white mostly sat on their hands, angry at everything Trump said. I found it all rather entertaining, including the pained facial expressions of Pelosi and the red-faced (sunburned?) Bernie Sanders as the camera panned to them from time to time.
Another item in the news this past week was the National Enquirer's reporting on Jeff Bezos' new girlfriend ... and the threat to reveal more. The CEO of AMI, the parent company of the National Enquirer is David Pecker. The New York Post's front page headline was: Bezos Exposes Pecker. SNL took it one step farther, suggesting a better headline:"Your Amazon 'Package' Is on Its Way." Apparently there are pictures of privates out there, posed for exposure--and threats of blackmail.
When will men ever learn? Their peckers should be kept private, especially billionaire peckers. Even a billionaire's pecker (even masked with tight underwear) is just not that photo-worthy! My opinion!
And Pecker is a friend of Trump!
Does it get any crazier than this??
AOC, the new darling young freshman congresswoman of the Democrat party unveiled her "green plan" which was pulled off the website later, claiming it was mistakenly uploaded. AOC is giving moderate Dems heartburn! (Cars are bad, airplanes are bad, COWS are bad, etc.)
Talk of global warming is always more interesting when it coincides with a polar vortex. AOC thinks the world as we know it will be over soon anyway, so why all the fuss? The goal of elimination of air travel is certainly going to make it more difficult to get to the Climate Change Conferences. I think it is being held in Vancouver, Canada in April this year, so the weather may cooperate.
It will be a long train ride for Pelosi from San Francisco to D.C. And a long boat trip for the senators from Hawaii.
Yes, cows made the news, too! For their flatulence--the methane emanating from their four-compartment belching stomachs! Now that we are a more crude society, we just call it cow farting--but most of the gas emissions come from their front end, so go figure!
If I have to give up lomo al troppo I am moving to another country, lol. Australia, Argentina, Kobe beef?
During the cold Midwest weather, the wind and solar were not keeping up, still providing less than 10 percent of all power to our area, I understand. A lot of coal and gas has been burned during this cold snap to keep us warm, and I am thankful for that. We are a long way from using only sustainable resources for fuel. And I haven't heard that Elon Musk is working on an electric jet yet...
And then there was the trouble in Virginia. What's with all this black-face drama? Are we really responsible for stuff we did 30 years ago? No one will qualify to hold office in the future unless they have stayed away from social media!
The three top officials in Virginia have been found wanting. But they will not all go--because the 4th in line is a REPUBLICAN. It is evident that the media is not as outraged when it happens to one on their side of the political divide.
I didn't catch a lot of the Grammys Sunday night. I was on the phone with S&M (the NYC kids). I know so little about the current music scene. Alicia Keys (15 Grammys) was hosting, in her long dress and head scarf, looking half dead with no makeup. What is that about? I caught a glimpse of the K-Pop band who looked adorable in their matching tuxedos. Dolly was there. Michelle O. made an appearance. That's about all I know! Makes me feel old and out-of-touch to watch.
So how was your week? What did you find to laugh at? Did any trees fall on your deck?
Did you find some hygge indoors? Did you try a stroopwafle McFlurry?
No comments:
Post a Comment